ABOUT CURRY HICKS CAGE
The Curry Hicks Cage has a very storied history. The Cage was built in 1931 by University of Massachusetts Amherst alum, Clinton Goodwin. It was named ten years later after Curry Hicks, who had been the athletic director of UMass since 1911. In addition to annually hosting the Western MA MIAA high school basketball championship games, it was the home for both UMass Men's and Women's basketball for over 60 years. It has seen UMass legends under its roof such as Julius "Dr. J" Erving, Harper Williams, and Lou Roe.
The Curry Cage was replaced by the more modern and a much larger, Mullins Center, in 1993. The Cage continues to be used frequently for many different reasons including the pool, the indoor track, and its many offices. The Cage even hosts the occasional symphony orchestra performance. Its intimate feel will ensure a loud and energetic atmosphere for players and spectators alike, but with a capacity of 4,000 people, the Cage is more than capable of housing the animated fan sections for which the Tip-Off is well known.